Thursday, August 18, 2005

So much for arriving early by Heather Blakey

It was almost midnight before Regina and I set off for the House of the Serpent and Blind Springs. I hadn't intended to be so late but the Inn Keeper and I had struck up a friendship and she confided that my donkey, Regina, would take me via a short cut and that I would arrive before everyone else. She chuckled as she told me how that scheming Enchantress was testing some of the travellers and we both laughed a lot.

As Regina and I set off the moon was shining brightly, throwing a silvery path for us to follow. The moon seemed to be dancing with the limbs of the trees and we chatted about the origins of donkeys. I didn't know for example that the donkey supplanted the ox - which had the singular disadvantage of requiring a rest period in which to ruminate, or that a supply ship to Christopher Columbus, on his second voyage brought the first donkeys to the New World in 1495. Did you know that?

But I digress!

The moon was like a search light guiding us and Regina reassured me that we were making good time and that we would be at the H of the S in time for breakfast, that I would be able to sit in the garden and have bacon and eggs while all the others would be, well, a little distracted.

So it took me completely by surprise when a hooded rider appeared. I mean really, as I think Gail has remarked, what is it with all these hoods?

Regina didn't so much as try to protest and told me, very assertively, that we really should just follow this person. So much for the bacon and eggs with a cappuchino to wash them down.

All of a sudden I found myself in a moonlit glade with quite a crowd who were obviously having a feast and a very good time.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Woodland spirits in flowing white gowns floated by in rowdy orgiastic revellry as Wagner's music heralded the letting loose of some primeval life-force. A drunken, hairy man with horse's ears lurched at me lustfully, while a group of women flaunted themselves and suggestively swayed their hips, beckoning me to follow.

Regina and I were transfixed! Stunned!

Then a bugle announced the entrance of a handsome young man, resplendent in a flowing black velvet cape. He ignored the frenzied group and came directly towards me with a goblet in his hand....

I am so sorry! I am usually so restrained and self controlled. I really don't know what happened next and I lost the bag the Enchantress provided with all the things in it. If it were not for Regina I would never have made it here.

2 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Blogger Okanagan Valley Garden said...

Lovely story!!! You may not have noticed me (I was the fly buzzing around the donkey)

Bobbi

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I wondered about the fly that was so persistent. Good one Bobbi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home