Saturday, August 20, 2005

I'm floating in total darkness. I can't see my hand in front of my face. My ribs ache from being grabbed so violently from my donkey's back. Or maybe it is the greater struggle I'm having to undertake just to breathe. I must be wrapped in the cloak of the hooded creature to stole me away because I can sense a rush of air but can't feel it directly on my skin.

Luckily I had the presence of mind to, just as I bent over to whisper to my donkey one last time, grasp hold of the traveling bag the Enchantress gave me before departing. It is still clutched tightly in my hand as if its contents could give me life. Keeping a good firm grip on the bag with one hand, I carefully open the bag with my free hand and feel around for the spectacles. I'm hoping they will help me see something in this pitch darkness. I close my eyes, place them on my face, then close tight the traveling bag to ensure its contents remain safe before I allow myself to open my eyes.

My view is distorted. I see colorful pinpricks of light. My eyes are focusing and I'm seeing more detail. I realize what the Enchantress said was true. These spectacles allow me to see fairies, so these specks of light are really Light Fairies. I am beginning to see their details -- cherub faces glowing with color, irridescent wings. If I was back home, I would think I was looking at a fiber optic angel. But these Light Fairies are not mechanical -- they are real. I feel less anxious now being aware of their presence. I know that Marika was right. Though the capture was unnerving, I have no need to fear where I will be taken.

They appear to be friendly fairies, so I am holding my hand out, palm up in the hopes that one will land...or, umm...would it be "light" on my finger. I am not disappointed. A purple LIght Fairy just landed on my index finger. She's no bigger than a lady bug but has a radiant energy of calmness that engulfs me. I raise my hand up to my ear because I can tell the fairy is talking but, being so small, I cannot hear her. When she reaches my ear, I hear her say, "You must be a very special human. It is rare for a human to ride in the cloak of Destiny. Fairies are often transported to different worlds this way, but, in my life time, would you believe I'm 258 years old?, I have only seen a few humans in Destiny's cloak."

"In that case, I am very honored to be Destiny's guest. Do you happen to know where we are going?" I whisper.

"Just a second. I'll show you."

My friendly purple fairy flew from my hand. She appears to be gathering a team of Light Fairies. Oh! They are taking places along the edge of the cloak. I think they are going to pull away a flap so that I can see where we are. Yes! That's exactly what they are doing. And....oh my! I am stunned by the amazing, spiral path ahead of us.

http://iasos.com/artists/wizzle/

The breathtaking path glows in a golden light. I had sensed a spiral movement downward, so I'm not surprised by the direction of the path, but the beauty mesmerizes me. I feel hypnotized as I watch the steps of the spiral pass my view. The fairies must have recognized that I was losing my equilibrium because they quickly dropped the flap they were holding and the view went back to darkness.

The purple fairy lighted on my finger again. I raised her to my ear to hear her say, "I'm sorry. I didn't properly introduce myself before. My name is Lavendar. I am a Star Light Fairy. I carry wishes from human who wish on stars to the home of all wishes."

"Thank you, Lavendar, for showing me such a spectacular view. Does the path I saw lead to the home of wishes? Is that where we are going now?"

"You will pass the home of wishes, a place we call Hope, on your journey. I will be getting off before you reach your destination."

"Where am I going?"

"If it has been as with other humans I've seen here, your journey will end at the very center of the spiral in Destiny's Lair."

"Destiny's Lair?" I gasp. And I am speechless. So may questions, but none I can form into words. So many emotions. First fear, but I remind myself that Marika as been right so far. I'm sure her words were true. There is nothing to fear. Next anxiousness. What will I do there? What will be expected of me? Again I remind myself of Marika's words. I will not endure unnecessary pain. If I experience any pain at all, it will be for good. I am to learn an important life lesson. . . and I've taken the easier route.

"Oh, dear one! I see the color drain from your face. Don't be frightened or concerned. This is not a punishment or a trip to dread. You are special, dear one, or you would not have been chosen for this journey. Do not worry. Just let Destiny lead the way. Follow the spiral path and it will take you to amazing worlds.

"I have to leave you now, but please do not worry. Enjoy the rest of the ride. Talk with the other fairies and take a peek out of the cloak flap every once in a while and enjoy the view. I am used to it now, but I remember when I first road with Destiny, I was astounded by the beauty of the spiral path."

The fairies pulled back the cloak flap to let Lavendar and several other fairies leave, though Destiny had not stopped her flight. The sparkling light of the Light Fairies exiting the cloak made the spiral road even more enchanting. The fairies once again let down the cloak, to my disappointment. A red fairy whizzed by my ear pausing long enough to tell me that the flap would be open several more times as other fairies exited for their own destinations.

Before I knew it, I sensed Destiny slowing her descent. There were only a few Light Fairies left with me. The flap had been opened several times. I never tired of seeing the glow of the spiral road. The remaining fairies pulled the flap aside once more so that I could see the road as we landed. Much more gently than the departure, Destiny came to rest in the center of the spiral -- a large, golden, glowing circle. The Light Fairies wished me good travels
as they exited the cloak.

I realize I'm sitting as a statue and holding my breath. I don't want to move for fear it will be the wrong move and I will be violently knocked about. I wait patiently for Destiny to move or to speak.

It seems forever before Destiny slightly sways. I sway in the same direction and pause, waiting for her next move. Several more minutes pass before she moves again, swaying back in the opposite direction and I sway with her. This continues for what feels like hours. I'm determined to do nothing more than follow Destiny's direction. I certainly don't want to be dropped into the journey the strugglers took. Finally, I hear a faint whisper inside my head. "Welcome to my lair, dear child. And, congratulations. You have passed your first test. You yourself said just the other day that you needed greater patience. You have witnessed that patience today as you waited, patiently, for me. Now you can never say, "I have no patience," for you do, as long as you focus. When you think you don't, remember these moments of waiting. Remember how you simply moved with me, even if the movement was slight, no more, no less. That is patience, my dear one."

I can hear myself breathing and my heart beating. I soak in Destiny's words. I am grateful to have gained patience, though I also realize that Patience was within me from the beginning or I wouldn't have been able to use it today. Now I have no excuse. I have Patience. I just have to use it.

"That's right! Patience has been with you all along. Everything you have ever needed and will ever need is also with you. You only need to access it. And now you know how to access anything you ever need."

"I do?" I ask of myself, not daring to speak aloud yet.

"Yes, you do!" Destiny replies. "Think about it. How do you think you can access anything you will ever need? This time speak it aloud."

Before I can pause to think, words come tumbling from my mouth, "Get quiet. Feel my center. Go with the movement of my center."

"Exactly! And how did you know that?" Destiny inquired of me.

Again, before words could form in my brain they tumbled out of my mouth, "Because I hold all wisdom with me. I only need to access it."

"Perfect, child! Now, please, open the flap of my cloak and come out. You are ready."

http://www.lamisart.com/Gallery2.html

I carefully lift Destiny's cloak and am greated with the colors of the dawn. Good ol' Dawn, my trusted donkey, she did bring me to dawn's light. I blinked a bit as the light was bright in comparison to the darkness of Destiny's cloak. I soaked in the colors and the light and then sat at the edge of Destiny's cloak to await my next directive.

"Most people think I bring them here to show them a glimpse of their future. That is not a punishment I care to inflict on anyone. Everyone thinks they need to see their Destiny in order to make it happen. That's not true, dear one. That's the greatest myth humans believe. If I were to show you a glimpse of your destiny, you would either go mad trying to make it happen as perfect as it may appear to you or you would go mad trying to change it to be what YOU wanted. So be grateful that I have no intensions of showing you what your future holds in store.

"However, I do have a gift for you that will lead you to your destiny. Look before you at the water's edge. You will see a long rope of flowers. Right now that rope is a bit tangled. Your job is to untangle the rope, find the beginning, and make a spiral in the sand. As you make the spiral, pause and look in the center of each flower. You will recognize the images as parts of yourself. Take ownership of each part before you place the flower in its position in the spiral on the sand."

Taking a deep breath, I stood and walked to the rope of flowers. It was a bit tangled, but not too bad. The sun rose higher in the sky as I worked. I watch the colors of the sky gradually fade as the light gets brighter.

It must be noon now as I complete my untangling. The sun is straight up in the sky. There's a cool breeze, so I don't mind the bright sunlight. I don't think about it as I take one end. I just know it is the beginning. I look into the first flower's center and see the light of innocence and am certain this is the beginning. All children are born with innocence's spark. I let the image radiate into my hands as I cup the flower gently. Breath in its heady perfume. I memorize the image. I own innocence.

There were many flowers on my rope and many parts of myself to own. It was nightfall before I finished forming the spiral. Some images in the flowers brought tears of joy. Almost as birthday gifts, I was surprised as I looked beneath the delicate petals. I had hoped that I owned at least a portion of meekness. It was with joy that I accepted it as my own.

I knew that open heartedness was part of my being, but seeing it brought a tear to my eye as I remembered the hard road I traveled to earn it.

Other images were hard to accept. I didn't want to own stubbornness, perfectionism, or a judgemental attitude. When I saw these images, I wanted to pluck the petals from their flowers and toss them into the ocean. But my wisdom, speaking louder than I had ever heard it before, told me that there was no shame in owning these parts of myself. These traits come in handy at times and even protect me. I just need to know how and when to use them. So I humbly accepted their gift and promised myself to do my best to use these gifts carefully.

The final flower showed an image of patience, the last of the traits I had discovered in myself. I accepted this truth as all the others and set the flower in the sand. Not knowing what I was to do next, I sat in the middle of the spiral I had formed and waited for Destiny. I was tired after the day's work on the beach and closed my eyes.

I have just opened my eyes after a short doze. I do not see the vast ocean before me that I saw when I was with Destiny. A smaller body of water greets my eyes. I look around and notice that my spiral of flowers are missing. But there appears to be other people here. Are these my traveling companions? Why, yes! There's Vi wearing a pair of wings. I must be at Blind Springs! I must ask Vi about her journey.

2 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What an extraordinary journey you had Ashley. And Marika is a very special donkey. I am so pleased she chose you.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Thank you for taking me to the exquisite fractals . Lovely images in your story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home